Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Kindness is contagious

What the world needs is more kindness! That is a statement worth exploring. I have only been sewing for a year now, and quilting for about 9 months. I love it! Part of what I love has been the support shown to a newbie as myself. This support is found on countless blog and websites. There is a wealth of inspiration, encouragement and tutorials available. In return these generous folks only ask for you to respect and to credit their work where appropriate. In other words, just to be respectful and kind. I can certainly afford to be respectful, and it makes me happy to be kind.

Why does there seem to be less kindness in the world? More importantly, why would someone not be kind in their own community? In this case, the online community of sewers and quilters. I, myself, have not been the victim of any mean or harsh criticism...not yet. It hurts my feelings though to read some of the comments and criticisms posted lately regarding others. A long time ago, before we were "keeping it real," we were reminded to "not say anything if you have nothing kind to say." I think of myself as a modern woman, a modern mother, and a modern (very humble) quilter, but there is a place for old ways. Being kind to others others is a fine example in my opinion.

What can I do? Well, I am taking the Quilting Without Obligation pledge from That Girl...That Quilt.
That Girl... That Quilt

1. I am pledging to make quilts (and some other things, too) that bring joy to myself and hopefully others.

2. I am pledging to try and give back to this fabulous quilting/sewing community.

3. I pledge to be supportive of my piers in their creative journeys regardless if it is to my taste.

In a nutshell, I am pledging to be kind to myself and to others.

As a side note, it is one of my primary goals as a mom to raise my girls to be kind! No lie. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you, this is parenting goal of mine.

Kindness is contagious! So is quilting.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely! I have been a little disillusioned lately with all of the negativity!

    ReplyDelete